Hampton School was founded in 1557 and assembled at its present site on Hanworth Road in 1938. The independent, grammar school for boys has around 1200 pupils and in 2006 became the first school in the UK to off-set its CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions, becoming “Carbon Neutral”.
Hampton School has utilised the advanced technology of a 150kW Combined Heat and Power unit to assert their commitment to green energy initiatives, whist generating over £40,000 per year in energy savings.The project was funded through Building Schools for the Future and was bought by the school on capital purchase with premier plus contract cover for ten years.
In its first six months of operation the CHP unit delivered carbon dioxide savings of 196 tonnes. The school's commitment to lowering it’s carbon emissions are evident from the green initiatives they have implemented over the past ten years, which include:
- A Building Management System; ensuring maximum efficiency from the school heating system
- A compactor and recycling facility for cardboard to reduce landfill waste
- Paper recycling scheme
- Establishment of an environmental committee involving staff and pupils.