Isaac Newton Academy is a non-denominational, non-selective school, welcoming girls and boys from all backgrounds from the local community. The school opened with just 180 Year 7 students in September 2012. Each year it will welcome another cohort of pupils until it has 1250 11–8 year olds in 2018. The academy is a glorious building, purpose-built to provide a small school experience to a large student body. As a forward thinking Academy, they looked into efficient and energy savings options for the brand new building. One of the school’s largest initiatives was the installation of a 90kW Combined Heat and Power unit.
Isaac Newton Academy chose a 90kW Combined Heat and Power unit to assert their commitment to green energy initiatives, whilst generating over £32,000 per year in energy savings and reducing their carbon footprint by around 144 tonnes per annum, the equivalent to taking 48 cars off the road each year.
The CHP system was commissioned in July 2012 but started running properly in October aligned with the opening of the new school. As part of the package, ENER-G’s specialist CHP engineers will maintain the system for the academy.
The benefits of CHP in the education sector:
- Offers financial savings over conventional energy supply
- Avoids Climate Change Levy • Primary energy savings deliver lower energy bills
- Higher efficiency offers reduced greenhouse gas emissions offsetting the impact of the Carbon Reduction Commitment
- Greater security of supply and plentiful hot water
- Flexible procurement options • Zero CAPEX required
- VAT savings
- Possible grant funding