Ormskirk District General Hospital, part of Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust, is a 174 bed General Hospital providing Maternity, planned surgery, rehabilitation and a Children’s Unit in the town of Ormskirk, West Lancashire.
The new energy centre houses a modern gas-fired 1Megawatt combined heat and power (CHP) unit coupled to a waste heat boiler and two new gas fired boilers to provide hot water. The plant is located in a purpose-designed building and includes a new Estates Office and Workshop and standby generators.
The project was funded through a PFI investment of £5.3million to cover the cost of construction. The energy management contract covers design and construction of the following:
- a 1 MWe CHP in an acoustic enclosure
- two 5 tonne/hour and one combination fired (5te/hr)/exhaust gas waste heat boiler two gas oil storage tanks
- two 1250 kVA emergency generators
New Energy Service
- Generate 7,663,705 kWh of electricity per year
- Supply 12,740 tonnes of steam per year
- Operation and maintenance of the new CHP engine and new boilers on a mobile service/remote basis
- Provide £5.3million capital funding for the new scheme
- Replacement Guarantee for all new plant and building