A decision on the final delivery model has not been taken, but an expression of interest on research into auction design has been published.
On 13 March 2019, a call for evidence into an energy efficiency scheme for SMEs was published. The Association hosted an industry roundtable on the call for evidence and submitted a response on behalf of its members. The response to this call for evidence has now been published.
The call for evidence asked for evidence on the viability of three different policy options:
- An energy efficiency auction
- A business energy efficiency obligation
- An expansion of access to finance options
Although no consensus was reached in the call for evidence responses, key elements included:
- Warnings against an additional levy on business energy bills to pay for the scheme
- Unanimous opposition from suppliers on a new supplier obligation
- The need for simplicity and recognition of the diversity of buildings occupied by SMEs.
BEIS have published an expression of interest on research into auction design, and invitation to tender.
This research will be used to inform a subsequent full public consultation on the scheme.