The Association for Decentralised Energy is setting the vision of a local, efficient, low carbon energy system which enables energy users to make the choices which work for them.
We are the leading trade association for decentralised energy, representing more than 100 interested parties from across the industrial, commercial and public sectors.
Why decentralised energy
Decentralised energy is energy based at or near the energy user and it has an integral role to play in the delivery of a flexible, smart energy future. Decentralised energy solutions:
- are low carbon and efficient
- offer users more choice in how they meet their energy needs and control over their energy costs
- reduce network investment costs as long term demand decreases and/or users offer demand flexibility
We do not advocate for one decentralised energy technology over another, believing customer needs should drive the solution. We work to create a strong, dynamic and sustainable environment for a range of technologies including combined heat and power, heat networks and demand side energy services, including demand response.
We act as an advocate for our members
We engage with Government and key decision makers to support cost effective and efficient solutions to industry, businesses and householders by:
- Developing a user-led policy, putting the energy user’s needs first
- Delivering a local, low carbon energy system at lowest cost
- Ensuring an understanding of heat, which makes up half of our energy use
- Taking an integrated and 'systems thinking' approach
- Helping users manage energy demand to limit the need for new generation capacity
- Strengthening the sector’s reputation through industry standards and best practice
We focus on four areas of activity
- Advocacy: being at the forefront of influencing regulation, planning, design, procurement and operation policy, and customer protection.
- Thought leadership: communicating compelling policy ideas and market research through reports, briefings, events and training.
- Promoting best practice and collaboration: working with our members and a wide range of relevant stakeholders to help drive improvement and innovation across the sector.
- Enhancing and maintaining the reputation of the sector: building understanding and capacity through our policy and market development activities.
We believe the country is at a pivotal time in its transition to a low carbon, affordable and secure energy system for the future.
At the Association for Decentralised Energy, we advocate the value of a user orientated approach to meeting energy requirements. Consumers have varied needs from reliable high temperature steam in industry to heating in urban or rural areas.
By starting with the consumer, examining their needs and considering the user in their local context it is possible to design a more local, efficient and less costly energy system where each technology and infrastructure option is considered on its merits.
Our vision is for an energy system that is user-led, dictated by the consumers' needs rather than a system that dictates to them. To make this vision a reality, we focus on technologies and services that have not reached their potential under our current, centralised approach.
There are no silver bullets which will deliver an affordable, secure and low carbon energy system, but by thinking about the consumer first, we can use a range of options to find the right solutions for the right people in the right place.
- Dr Tim Rotheray, ADE Director